1. While most of us might already be satisfactorily running the Ubuntu 15.10 version, now when the LTS version is out,I am sharing here few steps to smoothly upgrade to the 16.04 LTS Version that's Xenial Xerus.
Check the present state of your OS if it is updated or not.
Install updates to ensure that you see the message System Up-to-Date
- Open “Software & Updates” in Settings.
- Select the “Updates” tab in the window.
- Checkbox Pre-released updates as seen below in the shot below :
- Check “Notify me of a new Ubuntu version” to “For any new version”
Type the following command at the Terminal : sudo do-release-upgrade
...the following screens are seen whilst the upgrade.It takes about a while depending on your internet speed.Just wait till you see a message asking for reboot.