1. A lesser known fact but a serious threat comes in form of a malicious insider ie the people who work for the organisation delivering the cloud services.In a typical organisation,one malicious insider can put the company in serious trouble and embarassment unless all are monitored by placing strict access controls and policies.Thus the threat multifolds in capacity of doing damage in case of companies who offer cloud models as service since all services and customers under a single management domain, combined with a general lack of transparency into provider process and procedure. For example, a provider may not reveal how it grants employees access to physical and virtual assets, how it monitors these employees, or how it analyzes and reports on policy compliance.To complicate matters, there is often little or no visibility into the hiring standards and practices for cloud employees. This kind of situation clearly creates an attractive opportunity for an adversary — ranging from the hobbyist hacker, to organized crime, to corporate espionage, or even nation-state sponsored intrusion. The level of access granted could enable such an adversary to harvest confidential data or gain complete control over the cloud services with little or no risk of detection.
2. Recommendations by CSA are put up below :
- Enforce strict supply chain management and conduct a comprehensive supplier assessment.
- Specify human resource requirements as part of legal contracts.
- Require transparency into overall information security and management practices, as well as compliance reporting.
- Determine security breach notification processes.
3. Thanks CSA