1. Some thing to read here about one security software named FINFISHER thats making some news...a sequence wise time line of events related to this is produced below :
- FinFisher is security software.
- Marketed by Gamma International to various government security officials assuring that it could be covertly installed on suspect's computers through exploiting security lapses.
- In the name of Lawful Interception (LI), FinFisher was found in the Egyptian Secret Police Spy headquarters used to track people down during the revolution when Egyptian dissidents ransacked the office's of Egypt's secret police during the overthrow of President Hosni Mubarak
- Egyptian dissidents who ransacked the office discovered a contract with Gamma International for £287,000 for a license to run the FinFisher software.
- A security flaw in so called "designed secure" applications like Apple's iTunes allowed unauthorized third parties to use iTunes online update procedures to install unauthorized programs.Gamma International offered presentations to government security officials at security software trade shows where they described to security officials how to covertly install the FinFisher spy software on suspect's computers using iTunes' update procedures.
FEATURES OF FINFISHER :
- FinFisher is able to record Skype and other voice over IP communications.
- Logs keystrokes and turn on a computer's webcam and microphone.
- Can also steal files from a hard disk
- Built to bypass dozens of antivirus systems.
- Presently found across 12 C&C servers in 10 countries: the US, Indonesia, Australia, Qatar, Ethiopia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Mongolia, Latvia and Dubai.
- Not confirmed by any govt agencies as being used officially but then who else would at such a large scale???
- Expected to be particularly difficult to detect.
- Used to access target Systems to give full access to stored information with the ability to take control of target systems' functions to the point of capturing encrypted data and communications.
"When used in combination with enhanced remote deployment methods, the Government Agencies will have the capability to remotely deploy software on target systems".............................extract from official finfisher site at http://www.finfisher.com/FinFisher/en/portfolio.php