Social Icons

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Fighting LIGHTSCRIBE !!!

1. I bought my laptop few years back and I had exploited all its features including Blue Tooth,WiFi,Web cam,running high processing softwares to test its 2GB RAM,CD/DVD Writting etc but not LightScribing.

 2. This term in easy terms would mean printing on CD/DVD just like you take a printout on paper…..will get more clearer from the picture inset…..I had read some theory on this on how it works and what is the procedure of doing the light scribe but practical always remained a backlog till last week when I got the opportunity to do some thing on it.

 3. LightScribe is an innovative technology that uses a special disc drive, special media, and label-making software to burn labels directly onto CDs and DVDs. These have a limitation of being in Black & White only as on date. Because the labels are laser-etched—not printed—there's no ink, no smudging, and no peeling. Your labels can be whatever you want them to be. Create one-of-a-kind designs with your own photos, text, and artwork using your label-making software. Or choose from the many free templates available on the net.

4. The first thing I required was the light scribe DVD.Now finding lightscribe DVD in a small town (..I hope the jalandharite’s don’t mind on that....)is also a problem . Shopkeepers have to be explained N number of times of what it is ? and still they never understand. You usually get comments like “kya saaab....matlab cd pe screen  printing ha ha ha....That apart I finally got one opportunity on leave to visit the IT hub Nehru Place in New Delhi.

5. At Nehru Place,I got to know of the variety of Light Scribe DVDs available.They range from Rs 400/- to Rs 1800/- for a set of 10.To find out the reason of difference in price it was not the company or brand,but something to do with the quality of laser coating on the DVD.The costlier the DVD,the better would be the contrast and the cheapest of them would give you a relatively darker burn but would be good enough to see the image you have burned.So I went ahead with the Rs 400/- to experiment with.

6. Next thing was the software. My laptop came preloaded with Home Vista Basic which made its way to heaven immediately on arrival since I wanted it to work with Vista Ultimate. So the preloaded Light scribe HP software was gone and I thought of installing it from the SWSETUP/LSHSI folder.As i started it , I got the message “UPDATE_SHELL_COMMAND” property must be set on the command line”…so straight I asked god!!!…(Has google become God?)..so came many answers and threads to solutions but nothing could solve it.So I started looking and experimenting with numerous third party software’s and I tried “Sure Thing CD Labeler”. The name of the software went with the meaning and solved my problem. Easy Installation, Easy Writing, No Hassles,No DLL’s missing and no message to mess with “UPDATE_SHELL_COMMAND”.So got my first LIGHTSCRIBE as shown in pic.

2 comments:

Powered By Blogger