1. The cyber space keeps coming up with such new terms and will continue doing so for years to come.So this is one term I heard of when I recently got an opportunity to attend a Two day symposium conducted by CSI ie COMPUTER SOCIETY OF INDIA,Indore Chapter.The Computer Society of India is the first and the largest body of computer professionals in India.
2. So whats exactly HUMANE COMPUTING to which even google has limited answers....what i could gather from the forum which was presided by distinguised and expert speakers is produced below in as brief to understand possible words.
3. The concept would be easier to understand with the help of few examples cited by the speaker :
- Firstly imagine one typical branded washing machine getting faulty after few months of completion of warranty.Is it typical? or could it have been programmed to do so intentionally?
- Secondly ,remember the movies I-Robot@Will Smith or Robot@my favorite Rajini Sir......both the movies revolve around the protagonist struggle to control his creation, the robot whose software was upgraded to give it the ability to comprehend and generate human emotions.....so in both the cases laws of robotics failed and the plan back fired!So both the movies were based on imagination that may be possible in future...both were runaway hits...
- Thirdly, the matrix series(triology)...that depicts a future in which reality as perceived by most humans is actually a simulated reality created by sentient machines to pacify and subdue the human population, while their bodies' heat and electrical activity are used as an energy source. So the lead computer programmer is drawn into a rebellion against the machines, involving other people who have been freed from the "dream world" and into reality.
- Fourthly....any time a computer programme is made ...the code is written...so many aspects are considered at design level but any where is human thought process or kind of human psych is involved?.....no!!!m sure on that...windows or linux OS has got nothing to do with human emotions....person who is drunk and is in inebriated state would be able to conduct some kind of damage via the system that he might not have attempted if he was not drunk!!!!!
4. So by giving these examples here I am trying to make you think the reverse way....@we all are getting IT/Computer savvy in our life but when we see it from the top...do we need to become COMPUTER SAVVY?...or it should have been the reverse way...the gadget/IT around us should have become HUMAN SAVVY....u might need to read this sentence twice since I might have just pinged ur thought process and not actaully conveyed the actual meaning.The field is actually just setting in and will take much time to evolve.....its neither black nor white...its just grey...and its upto the present genre of scientists and developers to actually start sorting out black and white!!
5. "The term Humane Computing comes to encourage study of ethics, empowerment,empathy, equality, environmental sustainability with reference to the use of technology. Since it involves coming together and study of humans as well as computers, it involves technical as well as soft subjects and diverse disciplines
ranging from computing technology to soft disciplines like sociology, psychology, education, medicine, behavioral science and communication theory. The study of Humane Computing will be able to provide insights, which may make it possible to bridge the digital divide and which may help tilt the usage of computing in a direction, which makes it work for promoting ethical practices."
6. So thats HUMANE COMPUTING in the most grey manner...the field as on date is not even an understood thing but yes...the field is enough to create a mind start thinking of ahead ie FUTURE....